Monday, March 2, 2009

"ARE YOU READY TO GO TO THE JUNGLE?!"



Not too sure if any of you readers have had the chance to go to a classic rock concert yet but let me tell you, it sure is an experience. If you get the chance to do so, grab it by the tail of the mullet and don't let it go.

Last night Evan and I ventured out to see The Steve Miller Band play in downtown Honolulu. With the tickets being a little steeper in price than what we are used to for our indie shows ($65 bucks!), we decided to use the opportunity as a great excuse for a date night. I even wore a dress. 

Anyway, upon arrival, I was nothing short of surprised when I saw the apparel being sported by the other concert goers. The cougars* were really playing the part in all of their leopard stretchy tops and mom jeans*, while the dress code for all the men seemed to fit in the category of tucked in Hane's tees and jeans with their right hand strategically placed in their pocket, for extra cool points I'm sure. We quickly gathered that we were obviously the youngest fans here by at least twenty years. But, we stood in line for our 24 oz. Bud Lights and we went with it.

Besides the getups, what really shook us up was the overall behavior of these adults. It was as if they were nineteen again and running against the wind. There was grinding and hippie dancing, even the band had a man on stage the entire time doing nothing but dance moves- and he could really dance! I don't think I saw him repeat a step during the entire three hours. What a life! Get paid to freestyle for a bunch of screaming women in Lee jeans! Sign me up!  

Oh, and the best part is still to come. Evan and I were pleasantly surprised when we found out who would be seated right next to us. An older "busty" woman who was not shy to let us know just how (ahem) drunk she was and then proceeded to grab Evan's leg numerous times perhaps in an attempt to make her point understood. But she continued to drink her beer and slosh it around with every "keep on a rockin' me baby". 

But, the show was fantastic and I am grateful to have been able to see such a talented group of guys play their hearts out like they were twenty-two again for a crowd that maybe believed, if only for one night, that they really were. 

Above is a picture of the band, and the man to the right of Steve was the dance-dance revolutionizer. 


*Cougar: Older woman usually ranging in age from 36-64 on the "prowl" for men, preferably younger men.
*Mom jeans: Jeans that ride up so high it's hard to know the difference from their bra. Usually Lee Jeans or Liz Claiborne.

2 comments:

  1. This is AWESOME! I can't wait 'til this is me in 15-20 years, at a Death Cab concert or maybe something that rocks a little more.

    It's good to see you and Even looking so well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is sweet! Haven't actually been to a classic rock concert yet... I'd probably see Neil Diamond in concert if he ever rolled through town.. :P You guys are a cute couple!--lucky you, you even get to wear warm weather clothes in the middle of winter! I can honestly say that I am sick and tired of getting home from work or getting up in the morning and pulling on three to four layers just to wear around the house. (We can't afford to pay for the heat right now so we just turn the breakers off.) Glad you two are having fun, and I'm sure we'll see you before too long... Good luck with the move!!!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.