Victory is so, so sweet.
My car was towed in January while I was a customer of Starbucks. When I picked up my car, I requested to speak to a Retriever Towing manager, but was only allowed to speak to an unhelpful super. I emailed the General Manager to let him know that his driver did not follow proper procedure when he towed my car, and escalated the matter when I didn't get a response - the string of letters below tells the rest of the story...
Original Article (on Consumerist.com - 222 comments and counting!)
Email to Chuck White, GM of Retriever Towing
Statement to Portland Towing Commission
Towing Coordinator's Response
Towing Coordinator's final determination
You might notice in this final link that they don't actually have to refund my money... but it's the second-least expensive option. We'll see if they appeal this - I plan on calling them tonight.
UPDATE: Five months after the events above, the state of Oregon voted and outlawed the practice of Predatory Towing:
Oregon House Bill 2578
I like to think it's owing in part to my experience, story and letters - no big deal, Portland, it's the least I could do.
Andrew
you are officially my hero! your letters were so well written and iam so proud of you. Damn the man!
ReplyDeleteI learned from the best!
ReplyDelete